St Michael and All Angels, Wilsill



Post Code: HG3 5EF

Welcome to St Michael and All Angels, Wilsill.

Videography courtesy of Martyn Sheard

St Michael and All Angels, Wilsill is surrounded by characteristic dry stone walling, situated on the northern side of the Nidderdale valley with superb views across to the other side of the valley and sweeping up the Dale towards Pateley Bridge and beyond. The attention to detail in the architecture of St Michael and All Angels is evident from the moment you walk into it, a light and airy feel created by the light coloured stone and mostly clear windows which look on to the gorgeous countryside. There is a beautiful, eye catching stained glass East Window depicting ‘Christ in glory with the Angels.

St Michael and All Angels is an early twentieth century, rural church and celebrates a 9am Holy Communion according to the 1662 Book of Common Prayer service. There are also several Saturday afternoon themed Café Church services held throughout the year which have proved to be very popular.

This spiritual haven of peace and tranquillity is a wonderful place to worship God with a small and faithful congregation with a warm and generous welcome.

Services: 2nd & 4th Sundays of the month at 9am


Vicar: Reverend Darryl Hall,
The Vicarage,
New Church Street,
Pateley Bridge.
HG3 5LQ  
Telephone: 01423 711414


Churchwarden:   Daphne Clay 01423 712750



The St Michael Carving was given in 1972 by Rev. Leslie Weatherhead formerly Dean of Nassau in the Bahamas. He was a member of an old family of Wilsill.

This magnificent East Window shows Christ reigning in glory, with the angels, the archangel Michael and the archangel Gabriel on either side. It was given in 1936 by the first vicar of St Michael and All Angels, the Reverend Sydney Rogerson, in memory of his son, George.

The altar was given in memory of W.B. Boord in 1949. He had been the choirmaster and Lay Reader for many years. The memorial to him is on the inside the archway to the left. The design on the altar reflects the three arches of the East Window and was carved by Mr Thorpe of Ripon who served his apprenticeship with the mouseman of Kilburn.




The war memorial not only remembers not only those from the area who died in World War I 1914-1918, but also those who survived.